The history of tireless development, in which Bemberg™ grew into the only material widely used around the world.
Born in the late 19th century, Bemberg™ has contributed to achieve a sustainable society,
utilizing technology and knowledge to stay close to changes in the fashion industry.
The principle of Bemberg™ is invented.
Industrialization in Germany
*The street where J.P. Bemberg of Germany used to be located is called Bemberg Strasse (Bemberg Street).
The representative of J.P. Bemberg of Germany and Shitagau Noguchi (the founder of Asahi Kasei) sign a formal agreement on the introduction of technological machines in New York.
Bemberg Fiber Co., Ltd. is established.
The production of Bemberg™ (hank yarn) commences. It begins to be produced as a clothing material in Hokuriku. The area of production is later expanded to the Ryomo area (Kiryu City, Gunma Prefecture, and Ashikaga City, Tochigi Prefecture).
Asahi Bemberg Fiber Co., Ltd. is established.
- Raw yarns begin to be provided to Yamanashi region.
- The production of raw yarns for tricot begins.
- The Showa Emperor visits Bemberg™ Plant for inspection.
Raw yarns of Bemberg™ for yarn-dyed linings begin to be input in full scale in Yamanashi region.
- Commencement of textile business
- The first Yamanashi Bemberg™ Textile Competition is held.
- Advertising on mass media begins.
- Radio advertising of linings begins.
- Launch of Bemberg™ de Chine (AK3500)
- The industry's first in-house textile is launched.
- Kanazawa Branch of R&D Laboratory for Applied Product is established.
- R&D Laboratory for Applied Product is established in Takatsuki City, Osaka.
- Production utilizing continuous spinning begins.
- Export of fabric for luxury saris begins.
Kimono fabric produced in Kiryu begins to be sold in Nishijin, Kyoto.
- Yamanashi branch is established.
Production of Bemberg™ staple fiber begins.
- TV commercial for linings begins to be shown.
- Advertisement of lingerie begins.
- First Hokuriku Bemberg™ Promotion Exhibition
Crown Prince (Heisei Emperor) and Princess visit Bemberg™ Plant for inspection.
Expansion of the fields of apparel and materials (woven labels, metallic fibers, hair implantation, handicraft yarn and velvet)
Golden age of linings for home-sewing, with a shift from de Chine to taffetas
- Golden age of yarn-dyed linings
- Golden age of tricot for intimates
Bemberg™ yarn is stored in the time capsule for Expo '70 in Osaka.
- Launch of piece-dyed linings for men
- Asahi Kasei and Miyazaki Prefectural Government sign an agreement on the prevention of pollution in Nobeoka City.
Launch of linings in 48-inch width for pret-a-porter.
- Sales of Bemliese™ (nonwoven product) begins.
- Production applying NP (high-speed continuous) spinning process begins.
Production of hollow fibers (for artificial kidneys) begins.
Asahi Kasei Textile Co., Ltd. is established.
Sales of yarns for traditional wear in India begins.
- Textile mills in India who use Bemberg™ come to Japan.
- Collaborated textile exhibition with production areas (Yamanashi, Kiryu, Niigata and Yonezawa) begins.
- Illustrations by French fashion illustrator René Gruau are used for advertisements.
- Asahi Kasei begins sponsoring a TV program entitled "Naruhodo! The World."
- Bemberg™ hollow fiber for artificial kidneys is awarded the Imperial Invention Prize.
Full-scale export of raw yarns to Italy begins.
Launch of a "Peach-skin" finish material
Launch of combined yarn with polyester
Launch of linings in 54-inch width for pret-a-porter.
Launch of polyester mixed linings for men
Golden age of Bemberg™ high twisted yarn
Lining R&D Laboratory for Applied Product is established.
*Current view of the Lining R&D Laboratory. This sign has continued to be used since the establishment of the center.
- Launch of soft stretch linings
- Launch of combined yarn with polyester for knitting material
- Joint exhibition of linings begins to be held.
- Production of hank yarns stops.
- Provision of materials with functions appropriate for sports
- Participate in CHIC, a fashion trade show in China
- Exhibition of Bemberg™ apparel textile begins.
- Full-scale provision of cotton mixed textile
Expansion of functional textile
Asahi Kasei Fibers Italia s.r.l is established.
- Exhibit at Première Vision Paris
- Provision of Home Textiles and exhibit at Intertextile Shanghai
- New brand statement, "A Touch of Nature" is introduced.
Ningbo Yak-Yo Bemberg Textile Co., Ltd., a joint venture in China, begins operation.
Exhibit at Interfilière (Paris)
- Asahi Kasei China Fashion Designer Creative awards starts (Beijing).
- Exhibit at Heimtextil (Frankfurt)
Asahi Kasei Corp. Center for Advanced Technology of Fiber & Textiles is established (Moriyama)
- Production of cupro fiber ends at other companies, as a result of which Asahi Kasei becomes the only cuoro (Bemberg™) manufacturer.
- Exhibit at the China International Knitting Fair (Shanghai)
- Bemberg Lining Museum+ is established.
- Production begins at a new NP (high-speed continuous) spinning process.
New brand statement, "It feels so precious," is introduced.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Report is created.
- Participation in the Business Call to Action (BCtA) led by the United Nations Development Programme with initiatives in India
A new collection targeting students, China Future Star Design Innovation Award.
Global Recycled Standard (GRS) certification is obtained from Textile Exchange.
- Bemberg™ brand is unified in Europe and other regions
- Velutine™ Evo, an original fibrillation technology with low environmental impact, is developed
- Participates in Lakmé Fashion Week(India)
- becomes a member of ZDHC
- Renews membership in BCtA
- Bemberg™ 90th Anniversary
TO THE NEXT