DO NOT USE METHACRYLONITRILE IN ANY APPLICATION WHICH MAY
INVOLVE OR RESULT IN ITS DIRECT CONTACT WITH FOOD OR WITH
THE HUMAN BODY.
- EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
- Clear, colorless liquid. Highly flammable liquid with
a flash point 1.1°C(C.C.) .Vapor can form an explosive
gaseous mixture with air.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
Primary Routes of Exposure
- EYE: Contact causes eye irritation or eye injury.
SKIN: Contact causes skin irritation or skin injury.
INHALATION: Harmful if inhaled.
INGESTION: Harmful if swallowed.
- Extended exposure to the vapor may cause headache, dizziness,
nausea, feeling of exhaustion.
- Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NIOSH, NTP or OSHA
OTHER CHRONIC TOXICITY: Not available
- Can be absorbed through the skin. Exposure may cause
delayed health effects. Symptoms may first be felt after
two to four hours of exposure and worsen thereafter. Inhalation
of vapor in relatively high concentrations may occur without
notice, as odor is only slight.
ACUTE TOXICITY: Oral LD50(rat) 25-50mg/kg
FIRST AID MEASURES:
- EYE CONTACT:
- Immediately flush affected eye(s) gently with large quantity
of clean water for 15 minutes. Seek immediate medical attention.
- Immediately remove contaminated clothing and shoes and
wash affected area thoroughly with soap and water. Seek
immediate medical attention.
- Remove victim to fresh air immediately. Keep victim
at rest, and warm with blankets or other covering. Seek
immediate medical attention.
- If victim is not breathing, give artificial respiration
- If victim is breathing with difficulty, administer oxygen.
- If victim is conscious, induce vomiting with lukewarm
water or other appropriate means, and seek immediate medical
attention. If victim is unconscious, seek immediate medical
attention but do not give any liquid or otherwise induce
FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES:
- FLAMMABLE PROPERTIES
- Flash point, test method: 34°F(1.1°C), C.C.
Flammable limits: 2.1 to 11.6% by volume
Flammability: Flammable liquid
Spontaneous combustibility: None
Reactivity with water: None
||In absence of inhibitor, may undergo spontaneous
exothermal polymerization leading to fire or explosion.
- Dry chemical powder, foam, carbon dioxide and dry sand.
FIRE FIGHTING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Hazardous gas will be produced during fire. Perform
fire-fighting from the windward side of fire, wearing
full fire-fighting gear (full bunker gear) and respiratory
protection (self-contained breathing apparatus).
- Do not use water for fire-fighting.
- Fire may be extinguished by smothering in the above
- For fire occurring inside tank, extinguish by filling
tank with the extinguishing media to isolate the contents
of the tank from air, while cooling the outside of the
tank with water jet.
HANDLING AND STORAGE
- Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing.
- Avoid breathing vapor, mist and gas.
- Keep away from static electricity, spark, and other ignition
- Keep away from oxidizing materials and other incompatible
- Always keep container closed airtight, and provide local
- Avoid tumbling, dropping, dragging or other rough handling
of full or emptied container, both before and after use.
- Wash hands and any other bare skin area thoroughly immediately
after handling or contact, and remove any contaminated clothing.
- Electrical equipment must be of explosion-proof construction
- Keep away from direct sunlight to prevent polymerization
- Store in ventilated, cool dark place, with the container
cap facing upward. Keep under a nitrogen blanket.
- Keep away from ignition sources, high temperature equipment
such as boilers, and oxidizing materials.
- Perform storage in compliance with all national and local
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY AND LIABILITY
The information set forth herein is presented in good faith
and believed to be correct, but Asahi Kasei Corporation makes no representations or warranties as to its completeness
or accuracy. It is supplied on condition that the persons
receiving it will make their own determination as to its suitability
for their purposes prior to use. In no event will Asahi Kasei Corporation be responsible for damages of any nature
whatsoever resulting from the use of or reliance on the information
or the product to which it refers. Nothing contained herein
is to be construed as a recommendation to use any product,
process, equipment or formulation in conflict with any patent,
and Asahi Kasei Corporation makes no representation
or warranty, express or implied, that the use thereof will
not infringe any patent.
NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF
ANY OTHER NATURE ARE MADE HEREUNDER WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION
OR THE PRODUCT TO WHICH IT REFERS.