Asahi Kasei to increase production capacity for Lamous™ artificial suede
Asahi Kasei Corp.
Asahi Kasei has decided to expand its plant for Lamous™ artificial suede in Nobeoka, Miyazaki, Japan, by 4 million m2/year, increasing total production capacity to 14 million m2/year upon completion in 2021.
Lamous™ is a premium artificial suede featuring a unique three-layered1 microstructure. Leveraging its luxurious smooth texture and flexibility in design as well as superior environmental characteristics, Asahi Kasei has actively expanded its Lamous™ business worldwide in a wide variety of applications including automotive interiors, furniture upholstery, IT accessories, apparel, and industrial materials.
Sold in markets around the world, Lamous™ is enjoying particularly strong demand growth in automotive interiors and IT accessories. As such demand growth is forecasted to continue, the decision was made to expand capacity. Moving forward, Asahi Kasei will continue to strengthen the Lamous™ supply configuration in line with additional growth in the global market.
Outline of the capacity increase
- Nobeoka, Miyazaki, Japan
- Lamous™ premium artificial suede
- Additional capacity
- Approximately 4 million m2/year*
- Second half of fiscal 2019
- Second half of fiscal 2021
- 1 The three-layer structured Lamous™ is made of the front, back, and core layers. They are three-dimensionally entangled with microfibers, and the core layer is composed of a fine, specially-woven fabric called “scrim,” which improves strength and dimensional stability. Impregnation with water-based polyurethane imparts a soft and highly flexible texture.