The Asahi Kasei Group constantly endeavors to strengthen corporate governance for increased corporate value.
- Translation of the Corporate Governance Report
As of June 25, 2019
The Group Vision of the Company is to provide new value to society and solve social issues by enabling “living in health and comfort” and “harmony with the natural environment” under the Group Mission of “contributing to life and living for people around the world.” With this as a base, the Company aims to contribute to society, achieve sustainable growth, and enhance corporate value over the medium to long term by promoting innovation and creating synergy through integration of various businesses. The Company continues to pursue optimal corporate governance as a framework to make transparent, fair, timely, and decisive decision-making in accordance with changes in the business environment.
1. Securing the Rights and Equal Treatment of Shareholders
While taking proper measures to secure shareholders’ rights, the Company develops a proper environment for exercise of shareholders’ rights including paying attention to foreign shareholders and minority shareholders and providing information necessary for the exercise of rights accurately and in a timely manner.
2. Proper Cooperation with Stakeholders other than Shareholders
The Group Vision of the Company is to provide new value to society and solve social issues by enabling “living in health and comfort” and “harmony with the natural environment” for people around the world, and the Company works to facilitate cooperation with its stakeholders.
3. Proper Information Disclosure and Securing of Transparency
The Company, in addition to disclosure required by laws and regulations, actively provides information to various stakeholders including financial information such as financial position and operating results, management strategy/issues, and non-financial information concerning risks and governance, etc.
4. Responsibilities of the Board of Directors
In order to achieve sustainable growth, enhance medium to long term corporate value, and increase earnings ability and capital efficiency, the Board of Directors of the Company presents the overall direction of its management strategy, develops an environment to support risk-taking by the management, and effectively oversees the business management of the Company from an independent and objective standpoint, based on the fiduciary responsibility and accountability to shareholders.
5. Dialog with Shareholders
The Company develops a system to have a constructive dialog with shareholders/investors and actively promotes such dialog.
Overview of Current Corporate Governance System
1. Oversight and Audit
- 1)The Board of Directors, which consists of nine Directors including three Independent Outside Directors (one-third), makes decisions on matters that are stipulated by laws/regulations and the Articles of Incorporation as requiring a Board of Directors resolution, as well as on important matters for the Company and the Group, and oversees execution of operations by Directors and Executive Officers.
- 2)Under the Board of Directors, the Company has established a Nomination Advisory Committee and a Remuneration Advisory Committee, which mainly consist of Outside Directors, so that Outside Directors actively participate in consideration of the optimal makeup and size of the Board of Directors of the Company, policies to nominate candidates for Directors/Corporate Auditors, independence standards and qualification for Outside Directors/Corporate Auditors, Directors’ remuneration policy/system, and evaluations of Directors for performance-based remuneration, and to provide relevant advice to the Board of Directors.
- 3)The Board of Corporate Auditors consists of five Corporate Auditors including three (majority) Independent Outside Corporate Auditors, and each Corporate Auditor, based on the audit policy stipulated by the Board of Corporate Auditors, oversees execution of duties by Directors by attending meetings of the Board of Directors and examining the status of execution of operations. In order to enhance the function of the Board of Corporate Auditors and to facilitate smooth cooperation and support with Outside Corporate Auditors, the Company has established a Corporate Auditors Office staffed with dedicated employees.
- 4)PricewaterhouseCoopers Aarata performs audits based on the Companies Act and the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.
- 5)The Company has established Internal Audit Department which conducts internal audits based on an audit plan. Results of internal audits performed by each staff function are aggregated in the Internal Audit Department and reported to the Board of Directors.
2. Execution of Operation
- 1)The Company has adopted an Executive Officer system in order to expedite the execution of operations, as well as to clarify responsibilities and specify the roles of Directors in charge of decision-making and oversight, and of Executive Officers in charge of execution of operations.
- 2)The Company has established detailed standards for decision-making in its Decision-making and Approval Authority Regulations of the Group with regard to matters concerning the management plan, investment and loans, financing and fund management, the organization and rules, research and development, and production technology, and delegates authority to the Strategic Management Council and the core operating companies from the Board of Directors.
3. Risk Management and Compliance
- 1)The Company has established the Risk Management & Compliance Committee which adopts policies and deliberates on matters in regard to risk management and compliance.
- 2)The Company has established the Responsible Care (RC) Committee which discusses preventive measures and recurrence prevention measures for accidents related to environmental protection, quality assurance, operational safety, and workplace safety/health.
As of June 25, 2019
Adobe Reader is required to view these PDF files.
Click here to download.